The Coffee Barrel has been roasting, blending and flavoring coffees for both retail and wholesale customers since 1983. The current owners, Tim and Shawn Brenner, have owned this business since 2006. Their current location in Holt has been in operation since 2009.
Air Roasted To Perfection
While it may be easy to pick up coffee in the grocery store, once you’ve tasted coffee from The Coffee Barrel, it’s almost guaranteed you won’t want to buy any other coffee.
What’s the secret to their delicious coffee? They air roast their coffees. Air roasting more fully develops the beans compared to a traditional drum roaster. The green coffee beans levitate in swirling hot air so the beans are not scorched or burnt (leading to bitterness). Each coffee is roasted for a different time and at a specific temperature fully developing their unique qualities.
Noses twitch upon entering The Coffee Barrel greeted with delightful aromas. Customers can choose from over 150 varieties of unflavored, flavored, decaf and Fair Trade & Organic coffees. Shawn says if a customer asks which coffee to try, she asks them what flavors they prefer in coffee – light, medium or dark roast, specific tastes. She can usually help them find their perfect cup. “Sometimes”, Shawn adds, “customers say ‘Surprise me!’”
The Coffee Barrel encourages patrons to buy whole beans and grind just enough for each day’s use. “You get the maximum flavor by grinding the beans just before brewing them,” says Tim. But for those who just want to turn on the coffee in the morning, The Coffee Barrel is happy to grind your beans at the counter as you purchase them.
A Subscription For You
Much of their roasted coffee production is shipped across the United States. The Brenner’s do not broadcast which restaurants or businesses purchase their coffees because they want the loyalty to remain with their customers. In short, they are in business to keep their customers in business.
One does not have to travel to the corner of Cedar and Aurelius to get coffee. Their subscription service lets you choose amounts and types of coffee to have shipped to you and/or your loved ones by going online at www.TheCoffeeBarrel.com.
Specialty coffees for the holiday season are favorites many customers wait all year for. This fall, flavored coffees include:
- Apple Crumble — delicious apple pie with a light drizzle of caramel and a hint of cinnamon
- Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble – think of fresh blueberry muffins straight from the oven
- Caramel Apple – creamy thick caramel over a tart apple
- Harvest Spice – Hints of nuts, cinnamon, ginger, spices and orange peel
- Maple Pecan – Sweet, creamy maple flavor with a touch of pecans
- Pumpkin Spice – Imagine fresh pumpkin pie right from the oven
- Salted Caramel – A touch of sea salt brings out the rich taste or pure caramel
In November and December, they bring out 15 holiday flavors perfect for entertaining and gift giving.
It’s guaranteed: You will find your perfect cup of coffee at The Coffee Barrel.
The Coffee Barrel
2237 Aurelius Rd.
Holt, MI 48842
- The Coffee Barrel also has a reusable K-Cup that works with a Keurig for those who just want one cup of coffee
- Decaffeinated coffees are produced using the Swiss Water Process that is 100% chemical-free and is a much healthier alternative to what is available in the grocery store.
- A high quality flavoring oil is added to perfectly roasted coffee beans then barrel-rolled to evenly distribute the flavor.
- Jamaican Blue Mountain is the rarest of coffees available at The Coffee Barrel.
- Every coffee bean has its own premium roasting potential. Roasting is a science of time temperature, weight and potential loss of moisture through the roasting process. Different roasting processes are used for each type of coffee.
- Check out The Coffee Barrel blog online to learn how to grind your own coffee, find out about the different types of coffee, and peruse a study on how coffee has been shown to protect against type two diabetes and cardiovascular disease.